Looking into getting a ninja 250 - Kawasaki Forums: Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-14-2009, 09:59 PM Thread Starter

Looking into getting a ninja 250

I recently found a ninja 250 for sale and the other day I took a look at it and found a few problems. The bike is a 2007 and it has 1500 miles on it and the price is $2400. The guy told me that at 500 miles he was supposed to take it to the dealer so they will chage the oil and adjust the carburator. He said that he changed the oil himself instead and didn't take it to the dealer for the adjustment. Now I was wondering if anyone knows much about this adjustment and if it is something important. Also there was some engine oil on the throttle cable and under the intakes. Is there an oil line that runs around this area so I can check to see if its leaking? Other than these two problems the bike looks pretty clean and looks good. Any advice will be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-21-2009, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninja_freak1000 View Post
I recently found a ninja 250 for sale and the other day I took a look at it and found a few problems. The bike is a 2007 and it has 1500 miles on it and the price is $2400. The guy told me that at 500 miles he was supposed to take it to the dealer so they will chage the oil and adjust the carburator. He said that he changed the oil himself instead and didn't take it to the dealer for the adjustment. Now I was wondering if anyone knows much about this adjustment and if it is something important. Also there was some engine oil on the throttle cable and under the intakes. Is there an oil line that runs around this area so I can check to see if its leaking? Other than these two problems the bike looks pretty clean and looks good. Any advice will be appreciated.
I am not sure where you are but best to find a local shop if you think the bike needs carbs adjusted, it should not be much to adjust your carbs, if they want too much find another shop......you can pretty much tell by how it idles and response when you crack the throttle......if you hear any back fire when throttle is off after raving it then you definitely need to have it adjusted.....

post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-22-2009, 07:45 PM Thread Starter

Well recently I got another ninja 250. Its a 05 with 1800 miles. The guy told me he didn't do the 500 miles maintaindance which requires the checking for valve adjustments. Do you guys think its worth spending 300 bucks to do it since its only a check.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-22-2009, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Well recently I got another ninja 250. Its a 05 with 1800 miles. The guy told me he didn't do the 500 miles maintaindance which requires the checking for valve adjustments. Do you guys think its worth spending 300 bucks to do it since its only a check.
I am not sure where you are but $300 for valve clearance check should not be that much....if you are in AZ look up D.P. Supersports and talk to either Jeff or Eric......they will take care of you, they charge $160 to check and to actually do it is $260. Most of the time valves don't need adjustment since they are that new.....so if you are not here in AZ let your local shop know that you just want to have valve clearance check first, don't let them rip you off.....

post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-23-2009, 08:34 AM Thread Starter

No I live here in kentucky. The owner's manual calls for another valve adjustment check at 3000 miles and I alread put about 200 miles on my bike. Do you think its safe to just wait another 1000 miles and get it checked or should I do it right away?
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-23-2009, 08:58 AM

Quote:
No I live here in kentucky. The owner's manual calls for another valve adjustment check at 3000 miles and I alread put about 200 miles on my bike. Do you think its safe to just wait another 1000 miles and get it checked or should I do it right away?
I had mine done as scheduled Maint. by the book, that way you are on top of thing and if anything fail during warranty period you are not going to get tagged from manufacturer for not following their advise.....if valves are ok and depending on how hard you ride you can pretty much skip the next one......just keep the oil change every 3k, don't skip that and your bike will be in good shape. You can always protect your bike by using Synthetic oil. I have been using Mobile 1 since after break in period. I don't have to change my oil as often but I check my oil filter every 3 months. I use Scotts Performance oil filter.

post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-23-2009, 02:01 PM Thread Starter

I recently changed mine and I used K&N oil filter and castrol 4t motorcycle oil. At first I was going to use synthetic but I heard I shouldn't until the bike has at least 3k miles and sometimes they make your clutch wear out sooner so I dedcided to go with regular oil.
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-23-2009, 03:01 PM

Quote:
I recently changed mine and I used K&N oil filter and castrol 4t motorcycle oil. At first I was going to use synthetic but I heard I shouldn't until the bike has at least 3k miles and sometimes they make your clutch wear out sooner so I dedcided to go with regular oil.
Its a good idea to wait until 3k miles to change over.......I am not sure why Synthetic oil will make clutch go bad, instead I think it should help but best to just wait and change over then.....

2004 Galaxy Silver Ninja ZX12R
How fast? Will blow you mind
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-25-2009, 07:43 AM Thread Starter

I heard that synthetic doesn't offer as much friction between clutches as conventional oil does.
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-25-2009, 08:12 AM

Quote:
I heard that synthetic doesn't offer as much friction between clutches as conventional oil does.
I am not sure if that is true......I use Mobile 1 and not seeing any issue, my clutch works fine and knowing I have added protection is a good feeling...I just check my oil yesterday and its still pretty clean, almost 6 months

2004 Galaxy Silver Ninja ZX12R
How fast? Will blow you mind
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Forums: Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode