1985 Kawasaki Ninja 600r Stator Problem - Kawasaki Forums: Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-29-2013, 02:22 PM Thread Starter

1985 Kawasaki Ninja 600r Stator Problem

Hey guys, so im new to this forum, just joined today. Just trying to figure out the problem to my bike. So here goes.

I was riding the bike to school one day and noticed the lights were going dim and then going back to normal, i have a built in voltmeter on the bike, so i checked the voltage and it read 10-11v. So i was like, hmm, that doesnt seem right. I rode it for a little while longer, and then the lights stayed dim and i noticed the voltage was at 8-9v, i came to a light and the bike stalled. I couldnt get the bike to turn over anymore. The battery was dead. So i replaced the battery just the other day, had 12.8v before start up. It took me FOREVER to get the bike started. Literally had to jump it with a car WITH THE NEW BATTERY, to get it to start. Finally got it warmed up and running, on the new battery alone, and the voltage read 10-11v running. I then reved up the engine to about 3-4k and the voltage did not increase. So i checked the stator yesterday, and after probing it, i had about 30-40ohms resistance at the plug with the bike off. Now i havent checked for AC voltage yet, because i cant seem to get the bike started. It had problems starting when it never did. I have been told that the stator is the problem. But before i go throwing a couple hundred dollars worth of parts at something, i would like to know for sure. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks Guys! I am a Service Technician for General Motors. So i do have a very good understanding about electrical and motors, just not too much with motorcycles!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-03-2013, 09:39 AM Thread Starter

Bummmmmmppppppp
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-10-2013, 02:21 PM Thread Starter

bbuuuuuummmmmpppppppppppp
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-09-2014, 06:57 AM

By the way it sounds its either your stator or the regulator/rectifier check to see if there is resistance to ground from the stator first then check the A/C voltage output. I would have to look at my service manual to know the exact specs.

86 zx600
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-10-2014, 06:26 AM

hi
Here is the serious advice. Sometimes there is a need to brush up the cords adjoing the stator. This will give you instant result if your stator coil in not burnt out. If there is a burn out you need to replace it. But try to brush up the cords...
Good Luck!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Forums: Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode