2009 ZX-10R Problems - Kawasaki Forums: Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-23-2009, 08:19 AM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 4
2009 ZX-10R Problems

My 2009 ZX-10R ran fine when I first purchased it. Now, 700 miles later it went from stalling upon start-up about every third time to every other time and now almost every time. It always stays running upon the second start. Along with that it initially runs at about 1000 RPMs when first started for a few seconds then revs to anywhere from 2200 to 2800 RPMs until it reaches 115 to 120 degrees then goes back down to 1000 RPMs. I took it to my dealer and they referred the problems to Kaw. Kaw said they were aware of such issues and did not have the fix at this time and may or may not issue a bulletin when the fix was available. I'm guessing it is an expensive computer issue and they do not want to spend the cash to fix all the affected bikes. I also had a noisy vibration in the ignition, so my dealer ordered some new screws for the ignition thus they still have the bike as of now. Bikes are meant to be fun and it isn't real fun to me when your co-workers give you bizarre looks when you are restarting your new bike to keep it running and sitting there waiting for the RPMs to come back down so I can finally drop it into gear. Maybe I should just drop it into gear before starting the second time and after a brief warm-up ride off. Any Ideas Out There? Thanks, Tony
vikes1961 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-23-2009, 08:26 AM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 4
I neglected to mention that the dealer checked the various sensors and they checked out fine.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by vikes1961 View Post
My 2009 ZX-10R ran fine when I first purchased it. Now, 700 miles later it went from stalling upon start-up about every third time to every other time and now almost every time. It always stays running upon the second start. Along with that it initially runs at about 1000 RPMs when first started for a few seconds then revs to anywhere from 2200 to 2800 RPMs until it reaches 115 to 120 degrees then goes back down to 1000 RPMs. I took it to my dealer and they referred the problems to Kaw. Kaw said they were aware of such issues and did not have the fix at this time and may or may not issue a bulletin when the fix was available. I'm guessing it is an expensive computer issue and they do not want to spend the cash to fix all the affected bikes. I also had a noisy vibration in the ignition, so my dealer ordered some new screws for the ignition thus they still have the bike as of now. Bikes are meant to be fun and it isn't real fun to me when your co-workers give you bizarre looks when you are restarting your new bike to keep it running and sitting there waiting for the RPMs to come back down so I can finally drop it into gear. Maybe I should just drop it into gear before starting the second time and after a brief warm-up ride off. Any Ideas Out There? Thanks, Tony
vikes1961 is offline  
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-23-2009, 09:14 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: USA
Posts: 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by vikes1961 View Post
I neglected to mention that the dealer checked the various sensors and they checked out fine.....
Wow, sorry to hear about that.....I have not heard about it, but since Kawasaki told you that this is a known issue then they must be working on a solution. I know they sold quite a bit of ZX10R, is this the first year they are having this issue with? Have you checked with other Forums to see if others are having the same issue and what they are doing about it?

The only thing I found online about throttle issue is this one link on ZX10R.net Keep us posted on what you find and what Kawasaki ends up doing for you.



KarSung is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-23-2009, 09:33 AM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 4
Thank you for responding... I had a 2004 ZX10 before this and can't believe all the improvements (especially in the transmission... almost as smooth as my 99 ZX9). I have been trying to search these issues on the 09 out in different forums and have had no luck yet. I will repost if there is a fix or I find anything else, but it sounds like the dealer is going to give it back "as is" after the ignition work (vibration) is finished. It is fun once I finally get it on the road.
vikes1961 is offline  
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-23-2009, 09:57 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: USA
Posts: 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by vikes1961 View Post
Thank you for responding... I had a 2004 ZX10 before this and can't believe all the improvements (especially in the transmission... almost as smooth as my 99 ZX9). I have been trying to search these issues on the 09 out in different forums and have had no luck yet. I will repost if there is a fix or I find anything else, but it sounds like the dealer is going to give it back "as is" after the ignition work (vibration) is finished. It is fun once I finally get it on the road.
No problem, here is another thing I like to suggest...check with Power Commander III to see if they have heard of this and if you use one of their product will that issue be resolved......the reason I said that is PCIII usually smooth a lot of the rough idling, back firing and power gain issues....I was having back fire issue along with rough idling and after I installed PCIII on my bike all that disappeared, one of the best investment I've made.

Good luck!




2004 Galaxy Silver Ninja ZX12R
How fast? Will blow you mind
KarSung is offline  
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-23-2009, 10:23 AM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 4
Thanks again, I don't have a power commander installed and I kind of wanted to leave the bike stock, but who knows if that is the only chance at a fix the option will be there. I just can't believe Kaw would have a hard time fixing this if they really wanted to. The head mechanic said these issues will not hurt the bike, but who knows what it will lead to down the road; especially when the warranty runs out and it strands me somewhere.
vikes1961 is offline  
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-24-2009, 01:11 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Indianapolis, IN
Posts: 38
Sorry man, and im not a mechanic but id think something was wrong with the idle mixture maybe or throttle position sensor..oh you said all sensor are good. Well damn, sure sounds like something electrical which makes it even worse. Maybe Kawi can work out something for you. I do feel your pain though, ive dealt with similar stuff on another bike.

Live 'Til You Die - QOTSA
636Sinner is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Forums: Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome