250R idle question - Kawasaki Forums: Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 09-20-2009, 02:43 PM Thread Starter

250R idle question

Gents/Ladies,

What (I think) I know:
It's a 2008 250R with around 9k miles on it.
The idle is spec'd at something like 1300 +/- 50 rpm.
Folks commonly use 1500-2000 rpm w/o issue.
When the bike starts warm it idles right around 13-1400 rpm.
Regardless of a cold or warm start, if I ride it a bit and some to a stop the idle does not return to 13-1400 rpm. It sorts of hangs (sometimes as high as 3k) and then gradually decreases to around 2000-2200 rpm.

Now, I grew up with fuel injected cars, I own a separate fuel injected bike. Basically, I've never seen a vehicle hunt for idle or idle at a different speed after running a bit and my service manual hasn't arrived yet. So, if you've a suggestion for trouble shooting and/or corrective action, I'd be interested.

Next on my list, benignly, I got some bar end sliders (I've already dropped the poor thing once) and noticed that the amount of threading on the bolt of the slider is somewhat less than what is available on the stock bar end and that the stock bar end was held in place with red loctite. I was using blue, since that's what I had...should I consider breaking them lose and changing the screw and or type of loctite I am using?

Lastly, my low beam headlight went out the other day and I noticed that my high beam could be used to sport low flying aircraft. Two questions here: first off, any thoughts on adjusting my high beam (or rear suspension setting, heh)? Second, as far as the low beam, all the other electronics appear to work (all the lights, guages). Should I be looking at something other than the bulb? I was just going to pull the fairing, etc., get at it and stick a multi-meter on it to ensure it's getting power and then swap it if need be.

Well, that's about it for now. Gracias.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 11-01-2010, 07:48 PM

hey, i just bought a 2008 ninja 250 also. after riding it a few times, i noticed that it would idle at 2000 when warm. i read on the ninja250.org site that 1300 +/- 100 should be the ideal idle rpm so i warmed up my bike and adjusted the idle speed using the little knob on the left side of the bike to bring it down to around 1300/1400.
heres the link: http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/What_is...I_adjust_it%3F

hope this helps!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Forums: Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode