Oil light won't go away - Kawasaki Forums: Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-29-2009, 08:46 AM Thread Starter

Oil light won't go away

Yesterday I decided to take my bike to work and when I got on and started it, the oil light came on and stayed on for more than five seconds so I quickly turned it off, soon after I tried starting it again. This time it didn't start easily so I had to use the choke and when it did turn on, the light stayed for about 4 seconds and it finally went away. I want to know if it is normal for bike's oil light to stay on longer than cars, also I want to know if there was any damage done to the engine.

P.S. its a ninja 250 by the way.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-29-2009, 12:06 PM

Well, the fact that it went back off is a good sign but probably still needs to be checked out. Did you check the oil level in the sight glass? How long have you had the bike? Any warranty?

Live 'Til You Die - QOTSA
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-29-2009, 12:42 PM Thread Starter

I did check the oil and it was full. I had the bike for about two months, and no I have no warranty. Could not using the choke be related to the oil light because I don't use it unless its really cold since the cable is broken and I have to manually push on the piece of metal next to the carbs in order for the choke to work.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-29-2009, 02:38 PM

i dont think the using of your choke will have any effect on the oil light, i could be wrong but i seriously doubt it. Does it ride different? Sound different? I say keep riding it as long as the light stays off, even if it comes on for a short period of time temporarily as long as it doesnt STAY on. Wish i could help more. I havent been on here much but keep us posted.
If i remember right on my last bike with carbs the oil light would stay on a few seconds after starting and would go away.

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-30-2009, 07:33 AM Thread Starter

What worries me is that it used to go away after a couple of seconds and it just started doing this recently. Yesterday I went and started her this time with the choke on half way and stayed on too long again so I turned it off and started again but this time it quickly turned off. I'm thinking the oil is draining faster than usual and it takes longer for the pump to fill the oil passages. I probably have to take it to the stealership because I have to get the valves clearence and carbs synchronization checked. But what sucks is that the only way I can get to a kawasaki dealer is by the highway and I don't have a license. So I will probably take her to a Suzuki/Yamaha dealership we have close to my house!
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-30-2009, 12:58 PM

Dude, you dont have a license???!!!
Might as well since your there have them check the oil situation out.

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-30-2009, 02:16 PM Thread Starter

I have a permit but I have to wait six months till I can get my license. Do you think it is okay to take it to a suzuki dealership?
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-01-2009, 07:10 AM

Im sure itll be fine. Ive taken my bike to a place that has a few locations called Flat Out but one is a Kawi dealership and another is a Yamaha but they are both called Flat Out.

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-02-2009, 07:16 AM Thread Starter

Allright thanks I will take it there the next time I have the chance to ride. I hope its nothing big.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-14-2009, 07:43 AM Thread Starter

Well instead of taking it to the stealership I just switched my oil to synthetic and now the light goes off alot faster! I hope the problem is gone.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Forums: Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode