Swapping out the Engine on 2007 ZX6R - Kawasaki Forums: Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old 08-15-2012, 05:30 PM Thread Starter

Swapping out the Engine on 2007 ZX6R

Hi,

My next project has been thrust upon me after a con rod snapped and did a great immitation of a sardine can opener on the left side of my engine.

So, equipped with a second hand 2008 ZX6 engine - I'm about to perform an engine transplant on my 2007 ZX6R. The second hand engine has around 17,000 miles but is in good running order. I have a copy of the title (salvage) with the correct engine number so I know all is legit. My questions/dilemas are these:

What should I do while I have the engine out of the bike to save me extra work later. The limiting factor is that this is a track bike and I have track days coming up next week that I'll lose my money on if the bike isn't ready - so I'm not planning a complete strip down and rebuild. However I am thinking:

check cam chain & tensioner
check valve clearances
change spark plugs
change oil filter
change/clean air filter

My broken engine is still in the frame - so I'm hoping that a good long session should help me remember and match all the connections. However I do need to draw up a bill of materials as far as gaskets, o-rings, sealants etc. etc. - so if anyone already has this, I would appreciate you sending me a copy which will save me some time. Similarly I'm planning on spending the remainder of this week writing up a checklist in sequence order, but if anyone has already done this - it would be a great time saving for me.

For those of you that have already done this swap - any advice, warnings, gotchas etc will be gratefully received.

Thanks all! I'm off to have some fun!!!

Mark
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Forums: Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode