Spectre not starting, so much already done - Kawasaki Forums: Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old 06-03-2014, 06:04 AM Thread Starter

Spectre not starting, so much already done

Hi,

So... I've been working on this bike for the better part of a year. I've learned a lot and gotten rather comfortable diagnosing and understanding a lot of theory due to it. I've been able to research everything via this site and KZR. THANKS! I bought the bike about 5 years ago, took a little to get it running but eventually it became a daily rider.

Last summer every ignition and starting problem presented itself. Little bit of work before winter and then I jumped whole heartedly into it this summer after deciding there was absolutely no way I was selling it. I love this bike and can't imagine owning someone else's.

Here's whats been done:
-rebuilt starter
-Dyna Ignition system (original pick ups failed under heat. Thennn Dyna sent me a faulty unit. 1/4 side didn't work. They happily sent me a new one though)
-Static timed. (strobe gun i had quit on me)
----Can't afford new Dyna Ign Coils, but its on the list
-New solenoid
-Cleaned carbs (a couple of times)
-Replaced air box with pods. (boots were reallly bad.) (((I also know this is where some people will sight some jetting problems.))))
-Raised needle jet 0.5mm

Around this time I got it running. Low end Idle was rough, but 1/4 throttle and up it ran better than it ever did. Pulled like a beast.

-Backed fuel/air screw out about 2 turns on each carb.
-valve clearances looked good

So it started first time almost every time until here:
-found vacuum leak at the exhaust headers. they were missing the brass gaskets. put those in.
-replaced turn signal cancel unit (needed it)
-changed brake fluid. bled them. (reallly needed it)

Went to start it. Starter just turned. No firing. Not even with starting fluid. Which tells me electrical... but the spark plugs are all firing, and the the sparks are blue. Fully charged battery. Can't seem to find a wiring issue... still need to go through and check resistance on all of them.

I'm now left scratching my head... asking why the bike doesn't want me to ride it.

Things I need to do:
-compression test next
-wiring checks
-ignition coil check (still has original coils, they were fine last time I checked them, but that was last fall.)

Does anyone have any other ideas/suggestions?

I really need to ride this thing.

Thanks in advance for any help.
Nate
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Forums: Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode