Changing Oil - Kawasaki Forums: Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-15-2008, 04:42 PM Thread Starter

Changing Oil

whats the real story when it comes to changing oil? I ride a lot, but i keep it to the same rules as i do for my car?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-15-2008, 06:31 PM

Depends on the bike. On engines that do not share the oil with the transmission, 3-5000 mile changes are often fine, or even longer in some cases.

Since this is a Kaw forum, and most Kaws DO share the engine oil with the trans, ( I can only think of the late 60's W-Series that didn't.) I'd reccommend changes in to 2-4000 mile range. the upper grade synthetics on the higher side, and conventional oils on the lower side. the Group-3's somewhere in the middle.

I tend to favor Group-3's as the higher end oil's are often too costly when you figure the extended change intervals are not long enough to justify the additional costs. Contamination from trans debris (iron) usually will not permit really long intervals, even if the viscosity holds up well. Might be for some though, as riding style has some effect on that.

Some Kaw's with the roller bearing crank/rods, such as the old Z-1/KZ1000/1100, and the KLR650 would need slightly shorter change intervals, as they tend to chew up the oil a bit more.

You will get a lot of opinions from just about everyone. Many are just speculation. The only way you can know for certain what's right for your oil choice, bike, and riding style, is to have a few oil anylisis tests done. It's not that expensive, and if you keep the bike for a long time, it's well worth it.

Cary
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-16-2008, 02:25 PM Thread Starter

Wow, thanks for the info. Definitely some good insight.

I usually do about 1000km a month (600 miles) and i just got my bike so i want to make sure she is well taken care of.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-06-2009, 02:46 PM

For the 2008 Ninja 250 do you have to have a stand to change oil...i just bought my bike and it doesnt have a center stand but i am trying to decide if i absolutely need a stand right now with the finances bein a little tight
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-04-2010, 02:57 PM

Send a message via AIM to NoMeRcYbAdAzz
changing my oil on 2006 kawasaki zzr 600 has not been started in 2 years since an insane speeding ticket. 5k miles on it any ideas on oil type? all opinions are appreciated

SKULL MASTER 06ZZR600
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-07-2013, 11:39 PM

There's a big difference between bike and a car engine. When you're using your bike a lot then you have to care about it more. Oil changing is the basic need for your bike as it regulates your bike's efficiency, performance and maintains your bike's engine's condition. You should change your bike oil after every 600-800 Km of running if its cylinder size is below than 750.

used motorcycles in UK

Last edited by jackson; 02-15-2013 at 03:18 AM.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-27-2013, 07:52 PM

In my idea you should always keep your engine clean. The best way to do this is to keep your oil and filter always clean. Changing the oil frequently will also drain all the dirt and stuff that you don't want to be in the engine it self.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-18-2014, 06:56 AM

A great*exchange of information.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Forums: Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode